Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New story in PRISM international

Well the mailbox here at the Sampson-Rosenblum homestead just keeps on giving. Today's haul included my contributor's copy of the new issue of PRISM international, which contains my short story "Going Soft through Luxury." And holy smokes, what a beautiful-looking issue it is, too. That cover, of two dudes hauling a giant (and vaguely phallic) peach, just kills me. The issue also contains work by a number of literary luminaries, including Zoe Whittall, Evelyn Lau, Sarah Selecky, and Zoey Leigh Peterson (those last two also have pieces in the latest issue of The Walrus, which I'm behind on reading). Overall, a bumper crop of excellence.

I also want to take a moment to praise Prism's current fiction editor, Anna Ling Kaye, for the amazing treatment I received from her as we worked together to get "Going Soft" into its final state. It was simply the best editorial experience my fiction has ever received: she was honest with what she liked and thorough with what she wanted to improve; she pushed me to make it the best story it could be, even when I was ready to settle; and she was extremely praiseful when I got it right. She returned emails promptly, got edits back to me when she said she would, and was fully engaged in the whole process. Such a rare treat to be treated this way.

And yes, in case you've been keeping track, this marks another item of mine you'll find on better news stands around the country. I now currently have work (fiction, poetry and nonfiction) out in Prism, The Nashwaak Review, CNQ and Quill & Quire. It's so rare for me to have even two pieces out at once, so this is really something special.

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment