Sunday, October 5, 2014

My review of David Bergen's Leaving Tomorrow ...

... is now online at The Winnipeg Review. Long-time readers of this blog know that I've tackled other Bergen books in the past - The Case for Lena S. here in 2010, and The Age of Hope for Quill & Quire in 2012. This new novel landed somewhere in the middle for me: better than the The Age of Hope, which I considered a serious misfire, but not quite as enjoyable as Lena S. or Bergen's masterpiece, The Time in Between. I also used this review to interrogate the genre known as the bildungsroman and question whether it has any life left in it, as it's a form that Bergen both uses and, I think, satirizes in this novel. Anyway, overall Leaving Tomorrow was a compelling read and I'm sure, like the rest of Bergen's work, it will find a wide audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment