Saturday, November 7, 2015

My review of Arvida, by Samuel Archibald ...

is now up on the Numero Cinq website. As I mention in the piece, and as many of you no doubt know, Arvida is on the shortlist for this year's Scotiabank Giller Prize, the winner of which will be announced next week. While some consider Archibald's book an odd choice by the jury - it's a linked collection of stories, partially about the titular town in Quebec where Archibald grew up, but also full of a variety of styles and influences, from magic realism to Hemingway, right up to Stephen King-style horror - I'm not terribly surprised it's there. This is one of the better books I've read this year, and as I say in the review, it really does push the envelope in terms of what a linked story collection can and should do.

I'm also happy to announce that I've been added to the masthead of Numero Cinq as a contributor. The piece on Arvida marks my second review for this venerable online literary journal, and I'm looking forward to doing more of them in the coming months and, hopefully, years.


2 comments: